Monday, January 18, 2016

Writing On the Back of the Tombstone

Visiting my brother's grave and looking at what I put on the back of his tombstone. It says from Psalms...."O that had wings like a dove and I can fly away and be at rest." It sits beneath a big Magnolia tree where my dad and grandparents are buried. The concrete cross I put there in the background of the picture is where they originally were going to bury him. There was already a person buried there unmarked. Someone poor had snuck into the cemetery during the Depression and buried their family member there, they said, cause they probably couldn't afford to bury them. So I put the concrete cross there to mark the unmarked grave. My kids told me at the time that," Daddy, you don't know who is buried there." I said,"but God does." So now I come to visit my brother's grave to think a lot of times and pray. And remember that God doesn't forget even those in unmarked graves with no names. That He remembers each and everyone of us. That no one is insignificant to Him. That concrete cross reminds me of that everytime I see it.
"The most important of life's battles is the one we fight daily in the silent chambers of the soul."

Blog Archive

Labels